12.23.2012

book 25 of 25

I did it...I reached my goal of 25 books this year!!  In all honesty, I reached it a few books ago.  I read several pregnancy, breastfeeding, and infant books this year.  I just didn't put them on the blog because I really didn't want to go into depth about what I liked about certain parts of pregnancy, breastfeeding, etc.  SO, here it is the last book of 2012 (maybe...I'm reading a book right now that I just might finish before year end). 
I'm a little late reading this book.  It was all the rage in 2007-2009  The author, Randy Pausch, was diagnosed in 2007 with pancreatic cancer and was given only  months to live.  He was a professor at Carnegie Mellon and they invited him to do a presentation at their "last lecture" series.  It is basically their way of letting a retiring professor give a sumation of life, teaching, etc.  Pausch's wife didn't want him to do it at first because she wanted him to spend every waking minute with their little family of 3 small children.  So to change her mind, he made the lecture about what he wanted his kids to know about him and the attributes he hoped they would hang onto.  It's a great reminder that life is precious even if one is not diagnosed to die within six months or a year.  He encourages his audience to live life to its fullest, be honest, and to chase childhood dreams.  Randy Pausch passed away in July 2008.  His kids and wife are lucky to have this lecture to remind them of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment